.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, July 09, 2006

    You can do it --Put your back into it

    For some reason, lately I can only seem to reference lame song lyrics when referring to running-related aches and pains. Anyhow, lots to report, so let's back up to our Nation's birthday.

    Went out for a four mile run. Was recognized while running by a group of bikers from my Jr. High days. (yah, I know.) Anyhow, it turns out the girl who recognized me has actually been looking for me. (I'm hard to find? ) The class I went to Jr. High (7-9th grade) with wants me to join them for the class 10 year high school reunion. That is so nice of them. I really hate to tell them I'm a totally different person, but perhaps I'm not the only one who has changed. So, I may go. There are some people I'd love to connect with, just to see what they are up to.

    Anyhow, after that, my back, hips legs, everything started hurting. Actually, ever since I hurt my hip, everything has been a little off. But in the spirit of trying not to obsess about every little pain, I've been rather quiet about it. (Unless you are Matt, then you have to hear me whine about it all the time...poor Matt.)

    SO, I took the rest of the week off. I thought a little R & R would be helpful. I don't think back pain is really something to ignore, even strange jump all over the place back pain like mine. The rest wasn't really helping the pain, so you can imagine the nerves I had when I thought about trying to run 12 miles.

    BUT, on Friday, Matt and I went out and purchased my first Garmin!!! I can't tell you how happy I am. I feel like I'm finally in the group now b/c I can track splits, time and distance. It really will have a great impact on my training.

    With the new purchase, I had to run, of course, but I was still nervous. So this morning I took off. My thought was, I'll take it one mile at a time. I'm not gonna lie, there was pain, but it wasn't that bad. So, I kept running and running and running and before I knew it, I was at 10 miles on the home stretch. I'm stoked that I finished a scheduled run. I am hurting pretty bad now and to make matters worse, I have a bad, bad skin abrasion on my back b/c it was raining and my running pack rubbed it raw. (ouch!) I don't know what hurts worse. :) But you know what? I don't care right now. I can eliptical or whatever until I figure this out and I'm hoping it will just go away? Anyhow, without further ado, I present to you stats from a training run for the first time EVER on this site.
    Total time: 2:26:22
    Avg: 12:06 mile
    1: 11:21
    2: 12:08
    3: 11:17
    4:11:18
    5: 12:47
    6: 12:29
    7: 12:56 --lots of walking and eating of sports beans
    8: 11:43: --rain started falling harder
    9: 12:09
    10: 12:12 --oh my gosh, I will make it!
    11: 12:11
    12: 12:02--Horrah!

    7 Comments:

    At 6:55 PM, July 09, 2006, Blogger Nic said...

    Damn! Now I'm really going to have to go out and buy a Garmin for myself, too!

     
    At 7:37 PM, July 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on the new toy! And way to go on the run. Awesome job. I hope you are feeling better soon.

     
    At 10:05 PM, July 09, 2006, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

    Awesome run!! Just proof that you're my long lost running buddy that I've never met (until this weekend!). :sigh:

    Have fun with the Garmin!!

     
    At 9:01 AM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Josh Dysart said...

    Congratulations and welcome to the fancy-dancy club! You can send membership dues to me of course.

     
    At 6:02 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger KT said...

    Take care of you, baboo. I think a massage is in order!

     
    At 10:22 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger jeanne said...

    wow you are REALLY back! now i've got some serious catching up to do! great job on that run. thnks for giving me some perspective; this year vs. last year. btw, we're running right around the exac same pace!

     
    At 3:01 PM, July 16, 2006, Blogger a.maria said...

    ummmmm.. ok. we need our own rbf meetup. i got to see you for like .5 seconds, there was such chaos after breakfast!! and i was exhausted. i needed to get HOME and to BED.

    and... afterwards, i realized i think there was a blogger there... katie? that i was like "oh hi" to... and now i feel really bad. i thought she was just someone else's friend, so i figured she wasn't there as part of the RBF thing, so whatever.. but then got home and realized there was supposed to be a katie there, and that was probably her and...... whoops!

    oh well. anyway. i was out of it. but we should get together sometime, jeez, we're in the same city!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home