.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, September 23, 2005

    He was clearly NOT a member of the RBF

    So I went to a sports medicine store today, the same store that sold me my inserts. I was very impressed with this store when I went to buy inserts, but today I'm not sure what to think.

    I went there to buy another knee compression brace. The one my doctor gave me is too big. So I was telling the guy about what I needed and here is a summary of how the conversation went:

    Me: Well, I'm looking for a knee brace that I can wear for my marathon tomorrow. I'm having quite a bit of pain behind my knee from my hamstring. The doctor gave me one, but it's too big.

    Him: You are running the marathon tomorrow and you are just now dealing with this?

    Me: (Long history of what I have been doing for the past few weeks.)

    Him: I don't think you should run the marathon.

    Me: (Jaw on floor, tears almost in eyes.) Um, well I am. (Cheeks are burning)

    Him: I don't think it's a good idea.

    Me: Do you think I will finish? (I'm sweating now.)

    Him: I don't know but it's not smart. There are other marathons.

    Me: (List of reason why I want to do THIS marathon.)

    Him: (Goes into this whole deal on how I need new shoes. It's all my shoes .They are wrong.)

    Me: I've heard it's wrong to wear new shoes for a marathon.

    Him: Nonsense.

    Me: Well, I don't want new shoes. I just want a knee brace.

    Him: (They didn't have one that would work, but he gives me some pain cream to rub on my muscle and tells me he will be working the 2nd aid station and that he will see me then.)

    I left. My knee hurt worse. My attitude was low and if I see him tomorrow, I will want to throw water on him. I now hate him and have set out to prove him wrong...

    Just returned from dinner, pasta at a generic pasta chain that advertises on T.V. The plan: watch Matt drink a few beers and wish I could have one, while sitting around looking at the clock until bedtime.

    I had the sudden thought this afternoon: maybe I will have appendicitis and won't have to run the marathon tomorrow.

    I'm feeling a bit unsettled.

    8 Comments:

    At 6:14 PM, September 23, 2005, Blogger Rae said...

    Good luck tomorrow! You're going to do great and I'll give you $20 if you throw water on that guy. I hate party poopers. I bet he's never run a day in his life. Good luck!!!!!

     
    At 6:52 PM, September 23, 2005, Blogger Jeremy said...

    I'd like to point out that on a serious runner or medical professional could tell you that you can't do something.

    Since he is:

    a) working at a sporting goods store

    and

    b) working the aids station rather than racing

    I'd conclude that he doesn't know crap.

    Trust your doctor, it's what they're paid for.

    You'll do fine.

     
    At 8:13 PM, September 23, 2005, Blogger brent said...

    you can do it!!!!!!!

     
    At 2:18 PM, September 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hope this party pooper didn't discourage you... Good Luck!!!

     
    At 2:58 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger April Anne said...

    Best of Luck!! I know you will do great!

     
    At 4:57 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Noames said...

    by now it's too late, and you've already finished gloriously, but I hope you did throw water on the guy. Or just ran past him swiftly and gracefully, and let him draw his own conclusions.

     
    At 7:14 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

    I bet you finished well. Wasn't the course quite beautiful (I ran the half). Our city is prettier than we realize. For that reason alone, this was THE marathon for you to run! Go KC!

     
    At 7:52 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

    Phooey on him! I hope that your marathon was AWESOME, and am looking forward to the race update.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home