.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 15, 2005

    I love Lawrence Orthopedic

    So I've been freaking out about the pain "behind my knee." (It's not actually my knee, but we'll get there.) Jeanne, first off, thank you for your inquiry. It means a lot.

    Before you even posted, I had called my sports medicine dr.'s office to see if I could get in. I know it's a minor pain, but when you have a marathon in 9 days, minor pains become MAJOR. I couldn't get in until next Wednesday, but I COULD leave a message for a nurse.

    So a nurse calls me back today. She says I can see a physical therapist this afternoon. Wow. At no charge. WOW! Ok, I say. So, I drive the 35 miles to Lawrence and I have no idea what to expect.

    The P.T. spent about 20 minutes with me. He was awesome!!! The verdict: I have a "damaged" hamstring. Not pulled (not severe enough) but "damaged." He spends time showing me how I can utilize heat and ice and stretching to help healing. He shows me stretches, works with my taper schedule, and sympathizes with my plight. All in all, I walk away, encouraged with new techniques to use for faster healing.

    I LOVE that place. Still nervous about hamstring. Any advice would be great...

    8 Comments:

    At 10:51 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    you're welcome, but are you kidding? i'm the beneficiary! I'm just following in your footsteps (complete with injury!) I like your injury so much better than mine. It makes much more sense. can I borrow it? And, if you have time, can you say more about what stretches he gave you? and the whole ice/heat/massage thing.

    Rest up, follow his directions, and you'll nail this sucker!! Nine days!! I don't think I can handle the suspense!! (although I already know the ending :)

    (p.s. I was in lawrence, kansas, once, visiting the Lawrence Journal World's online division. Very cool town. Cool newspaper too.)

     
    At 10:54 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    and p.s. Sorry that I have no advice. I'm such a leech. But I'm sure the rbf-ers will come thru!
    svrnb. (that's tonight's secret word below! ha)

     
    At 6:11 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

    OK, so here is what he said Jeanne:
    Heat: Use heat regularly instead of ice. Heat should be used at this point b/c it is not at the acute injury phase. After heating, stretch. (He showed me stretches, but it's hard to explain with words, basically, the main one is to lie on your back, using a rope as resistance and pull your leg straight up in the air to isolate the hamstring)

    Heat prior to activity (he suggested I elipitcal until Sunday, run 6-8 as scheduled on Sunday IF I FEEL UP TO IT. If not, elipitcal longer, then eliptical through the week except on Wednesday, if I want to do one last practice run.) HOWEVER after activty, STRETCH, ICE then later HEAT.

    Phew. That's a lot of work, but I'm up to anything. Feel free to borrow the injury, the work out, and heck, if you are up to it, go see my doc/physical therapist ha. I'm sure Lawrence Orthapedic would love to have you!

    By the way, are you a journalist, Jeanne? What brought you to Lawrence to visit the LJW?

     
    At 8:20 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger :) said...

    You sound like you will be raring to go in 9 days...good luck and good healing!

     
    At 10:35 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Noames said...

    9 days! That's so exciting! And I'm glad the advice was good and encouraging. Good luck!

     
    At 7:38 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    Thanks so much for sharing Stephanie!! I'm going to try heat tomorrow morning before the 5k. Heat then stretch. Then maybe elliptical on sunday. At least now i have a clue!

    I have NEVER known anyone with so much willpower!! (Get it? Wil-power?) T-9, countdown begins!

     
    At 7:42 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    oh and p.s. forgot to answer your last question (sorry to take up so much comment space~) I work at a newspaper as an editor, so yes, consider myself a journalist. LJW has the hippest, hottest online site in the country, so they gave a conference to show off. lawrence.com is an offshoot of the paper; if I were 20 years younger...I'd be out there working for them!

    Good luck again, i hope your hamstring shapes itself up!

    oh one more word of advice (so i don't need to write another p.s. and annoy everyone; please remember to take it easy on the Big Day!! Stay strong, and walk early if you need to so you can finish (just my opinion, FWIW)!

     
    At 12:55 PM, September 17, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    omg, i promise i am not stalking you, but I just wanted to thank you again, i did the heat thing this morning before the race, and it worked!! Didn't go my fastest, but no pain during the race, only beforehand! so thanks again!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home