.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, August 21, 2005

    I did it!

    People, it looks like this marathon is possible afterall. Ok, I never had any doubts. (lielielie) But seriously I ran 16 miles (actually more like 16.5-17 because I got lost and had to retrack) this morning. I'm just out of the ice bath and shower and smell a lot better. Matt rode 16 miles as well. He did the first 8 kind of with me (he'd ride up a bit and wait) but after I showed him the way, he rode the rest of the ride full speed ahead and called me 30 minutes later to say he was finished. (Meanwhile, I still had 5 miles left!!!) Oh yes, I should add that we are huge dorks and had cell phones with us. And I loved running to the tunes. There were a couple of songs that seemed to play at just the right time to keep me motivated.

    It was a MUD PIT out there on the trails. My shoes are trashed (appearance-wise as obviously, they still work.) and Matt's bike tires are covered in mud. All of the recent rain in KC left the trails, wet and muddy. I have to admit that 10 more miles seems a bit daunting. That 16 took it out of me. Hopefully with one more long training run to go, I'll be able to find the energy to finish strong (or at least finish). I may jump up to 20 in two weeks so that I can feel a little more confident at the marathon. We'll see.

    Here is my question, how do I clean my shoes without ruining them? Washing machine= bad?

    7 Comments:

    At 3:42 PM, August 21, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

    Awesome!!!

    How was the ankle? Good I hope since you didn't mention it!:)

    Thanks for the motivation!

     
    At 4:33 PM, August 21, 2005, Blogger Running Chick said...

    great job! and cells phones are a smart thing on the trail!

    for the shoes...i'm not very good with that stuff...i usually wait to the mud dries, and brush and bang off as much dirt as possible...maybe a spray down with the hose if necessary. there may be better suggestions out there...

    the energy of the marathon will help you cover those extra miles!

     
    At 5:17 PM, August 21, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

    My ankle hurt, but any time the pain peaked above uncomfortable, I walked it out for a minute and that seemed to do the trick.

    However, right now I could write a book about the things that hurt me...

     
    At 5:41 PM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Scott in Washington said...

    I soak mine in a bucket when they get too bad. Thats great to hear you back on track. Woo hoo, go orthepedic shoe inserts, go!

    Scott in Washington

     
    At 7:50 AM, August 23, 2005, Blogger Rae said...

    That's great! I always carry my phone with me, too. You never know when you might need it and I've seen some strange things I've been able to capture with my camera phone. I'd die without my mp3 player, too!

     
    At 11:24 PM, August 23, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    Fantastic!! You DID it!!! Isn't it the most amazing feeling??!!

    My "new" shoes got wet the first time I ran in them, and despite stuffing with newspaper, they now smell like rotten fish--always. Makes me oh so popular!

    You are REALLY doing great, after all that bother with your ankle. You are one DETERMINED gal!

     
    At 2:32 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Riona said...

    Congratulations! I read somewhere that you reach a point of no return in marathon training: you've put in such an effort that there is no way you won't run it. Sounds like you're there!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home