.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, August 07, 2005

    11 miles and it HURT

    First the good news: I ran. And I ran 11 miles.
    Now the bad: It hurt. A lot. Of course I'm the world's biggest whiner, but I'm pretty sure that was the maximum of my threshold of pain. Also, I ran 5 miles less than where I should have been at in order to be on schedule for my Sept. 24 marathon.

    The first few miles were ok. In fact my lungs, legs and heart rate were not even a factor. Had my ankle not been hurting, I felt like I could have made it. By the time I reached the 5 mile marker, I was almost in tears and thinking to myself, Jeanne would be mad at me for running through the pain. So, I turned around. Three times I had to STOP walking/running and just be still to get the pain under control. Then I would trot along for a while. I'm sure I had a look on my face like, get me out of here! I was having visions of my ice pack. Then I got to this big half mile circle about a half mile from my finish and for some reason I decided to roun two laps around it just to make it at least 11 miles.

    So in summary, it felt really good to get back out there again. But I will be calling the doctor on Monday morning. Does anyone out there other than myself think it's realistic that I will make this marathon? Am I delusional or what?

    7 Comments:

    At 1:37 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    I do!! My hand is raised!! I think it is still realistic with the proper guidance. But that's the key. Gotta get thee to a sports doc, and a real good running coach. I KNOW there must be a sports clinic where you live.

    Maybe some real runners out there in the blogosphere have better advice.

    Don't give up hope til the day before when you get told, by the ambulance driver: "You ain't gonna run this race." There's a lot of time between then and now!

     
    At 7:10 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger brent said...

    that would be great if you could!! maybe the doc will give you some good advice one way or the other? anything is possible. let us know how it goes.

     
    At 9:18 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger :) said...

    I think you can definitely do it with the right plan. And truckloads of ice...!

     
    At 10:18 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger Riona said...

    I bet it can still be done but do yourself a favor and please please go to see a doctor. Take time off if necessary. You want to be running forever, not just for this marathon!

    Hang in there.

     
    At 10:30 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger About Me: said...

    i agree -- you can totally do it! but you might have to accept you just might be undertrained. or rather, not as trained as you'd like to be. if you can, get into physical therapy pronto which really helped me get over injury. i asked doc three days before my marathon when running even 5 miles was causing immense pain: will i do any lasting damage if i run the race? his answer: no.
    if you get the same answer, it's on!

     
    At 10:48 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger Scott in Washington said...

    I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already but I agree that
    1. its still a realistic goal
    2. you can do it
    3. go see a doc pronto!

     
    At 3:40 PM, August 08, 2005, Blogger Mark said...

    SOME pain is normal and should be expected as your body adapts. And it will adapt. As you reach new milestones (what an appropriate word!), your body will not hurt at the older milestones.

    No worries here. :)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home