.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, July 26, 2005

    I panicked, but the doctor says I'm ok

    News Flash: I panicked. HOWEVER, my doctor said it was a good thing I did because it means I am in tune with things. She x-rayed my foot/ankle and said, there is no stress fracture!!! YAY! And, (yes, Jeanne, I agree with you about g.p.'s not knowing the foot as well as a podiatrist and if I continue to have problems, I'll have her refer me) she even gave me stretches and ice techniques for my foot. Her hypothesis is that it is just the tendons in my foot/ankle screaming at me from overuse. And she supported that by reminding me that the pain was not localized. It moves. (from my ankle to my foot and back...) I am so happy. I am so happy that I will continue to work on the eliptical for the rest of the week until my long run without complaining.

    I have a history of osteoporosis because my mom has it and I have tested positive for early stages of it. That is why I panicked about the stress fracture. She said lots of calcium supplements and stretching and ice and I should be OK. But she also said to return if the pain became worse or more localized.

    She is also very proud of me for quitting smoking and said nice things about my overall health now.

    I am wiping the virtual sweat off my forehead and continuing on with training as I knock on wood and cross my fingers... Thanks so much for the support.

    5 Comments:

    At 12:48 PM, July 26, 2005, Blogger a.maria said...

    oh no!!!! slash thank goodness its nothing serious!!!

    ok, first of all, my toes fall asleep EVERY time im on the elliptical. i have no idea why. it kinda freaks me out actually, so i usually end up switching to bike.

    i've been having weird tendon-y type pains lately too and am very close to a panick attack of my own. thank goodness you got it all checked out!!! sounds like your body just needs a little rest (i'm sure running in this heat/humidity doesnt help. thank goodness for the cold front!)

    hope you get to feeling better soon. take it easy!!! you'll be up and running again in no time!

     
    At 8:40 PM, July 26, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    Oh yes! You sound like you have one groovy g.p.!
    Thank goodness you are OK. I was starting to freak out for you and I wasn't sure I was gonna have enough freak outs left over for me! :)

    Another crisis nearly averted by the blog family. Whew.

     
    At 9:09 PM, July 26, 2005, Blogger Riona said...

    Good for you for getting it all checked out. I have a friend who has to cancel his marathon plans because of injury. You sound smart

     
    At 6:49 AM, July 27, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

    Thanks everyone. I have now replaced my obsession with finding out what my "injury" was to writing the alphabet in the air with my foot as an ankle strengthener/stretcher.

     
    At 12:59 PM, July 27, 2005, Blogger :) said...

    Good news! I bet that's a relief!

    Have fun on the elliptical-torture-chamber-of-fun!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home