.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, August 13, 2005

    My trip to the doctor, or how I need to pour more money into running my marathon

    Who says money can't fix anything? It turns out all I now need to fix my problem is custom-made orthotics for my shoes?

    The good news is: still no bone injury. And now the bad news: "I can't promise you a pain-free run on September 24."

    Basically it boils down to my fallen arches are so severe they caused spraining of my ankle and pain in my arch. The doctor prescribed me custom-made orthotics. While I would love to have custom-made inserts, I opted for the more affordable option of buying inserts that were already made, but custom "built" to fit in my shoes. (Built as in the physical therapist at the running medicine store put a stiff support under my arch after he really examined my feet.) Trust me, they were still costly, but way more reasonable for my budget. I actually feel taller in my shoes than I did before. It feels pretty good. Tomorrow, I'm going out for an 8-10 mile "recovery" run. (Recovery from what? Not running?) But that is what my schedule said. Then if all goes well, I'll return to longer runs next week with a 16 mile run. Under my newly modified schedule, the most I'll run before my marathon will probably only be 18 miles. But that's better than nothing.

    So, in summary, the doctor said I could still run. He said it would still hurt. He said putting expensive inserts in my shoes would help my arches, but not necessarily the existing pain. He prescribed more Naproxen for the inflamation. He gave me stretching excersises to do at home with these rubber tubes, and he wants to see me on September 2.

    I'll end this rambling with one moment that convinced me the doctor was A-OK. As he was leaving, I was still feeling a little uncertain that putting inserts in my shoe and doing stretches was really the answer so I said, "Dr. Cupp, I really want to run this marathon. It's really important to me." He said, "I know. I can see it in your eyes."

    6 Comments:

    At 5:44 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger a.maria said...

    awwwww. i love your doctor.

    okay. you can do this. you are the champion of all things everywhere, YOU CAN DO IT!

    take your recovery run nice and slow and you'll work your way up to next week's long run and you'll be a superstar.

    man i wish i was gunna be here for this dang marathon. i would love to be there cheering you on. but i digress... many many good lucks on your run. let us know how it goes!

     
    At 6:40 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger brent said...

    thats great that he said you can still run. good news!

    let us know how the inserts go, i've always wondered if i should be using them myself.

     
    At 9:47 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

    I went with modified insoles rather than custom myself and it worked out just fine. Be sure to wear them at all times, even at home. Or at least consider taping your arches or something when you're around the house.

    I'm glad you found a doctor who didn't try to make you stop running!

     
    At 10:14 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    Your doctor actually looks at you?! That alone is good enough for me!

    Sounds like you found the right guy!

    Good luck with the inserts--I get mine next week, and I got the expensive ones, only bcs my insurance paid for it (you can thank me for your insurance rates continuing to rise).

    And we ALL know you can do it!! Just take it easy on your first run back. Nice and slow is right!

     
    At 6:35 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Cris said...

    I'm paying for the custom orthotics on my own and will try for reimbursement. I decided a while ago that my health is really the only thing between me and the long dirt nap, so while I can do without ipods and do without a 2000" TV, I cannot do without the things that will keep me going, including the right orthotics, PT, and the right doctors.

    I think you're going to be fine, eventually, but do not ignore the long-term treatment you might need. You shouldn't have to run with pain!

     
    At 11:38 PM, August 23, 2005, Blogger Danny said...

    It's funny. I'm a doctor myself, but I still don't fell confident going to a sports medicine doctor. I feel as if no matter what the problem is, I'll also get prescribed orthotics and physical therapy. In addition to the money, it's also time consuming.

    And so my solution was the Asics Gel Nimbus - a cushioned shoe. (My arches are on the high side if anything.)

    We'll see if it works...

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home