.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, September 03, 2005

    Bring on the holiday!

    I have labored. And I would like a holiday. It turns out, my 20 mile run timed out well because I'm getting my wish.

    Many of the RBF are such running pros they could probably run 20 miles in their sleep. But for those of us novices, 20 miles is a big deal. A BIG DEAL.

    I started off slow. That was hard to do because I was getting passed by other runners left and right. And they didn't LOOK like they were going all that fast, but I guess I was just really slow. The first six miles were rough. I didn't have my groove on just yet. I sort of felt like I was stumbling along. But I hit mile 8 and suddenly I felt like I could conquer the world. I picked up the pace a bit between miles 10-13. Then I stopped for a potty break/water refill.

    Around mile 17 I started to feel queesy. It never went away. I really have no idea what it was about so if anyone has any advice/feedback, I would really appriciate it. I had to walk a little around mile 18. (Note: I walked periodically throughout the run to take in water, gu and to rest my foot when it hurt, but felt that I kept a pretty constant run, surprising myself a little)

    I MADE myself run the last mile. It was hard. Really hard. I wanted to barf, but I wanted to run, and I wanted to barf, and I wanted to run. (and so on...)

    And then, it was over. And I have to admit that I got a little choked up. I'm such a GIRL. Total time according to cell phone: 4 hours and 24 minutes.

    A few notes about music. The following songs are awesome running songs in my book:
    The Beastie Boys: Sure Shot
    Eminem: Lose Yourself
    Outkast: Hey Ya (And Yes, I had to shake it like a polaroid picture, even at mile 16!)
    Blue Merle: Burning in the Sun
    Destiny's Child: Survivor and Jumpin' Jumpin'
    Mya: Takin' Over Me

    Of course, I had 4 hours of songs on my IPod, but those were just a few I wanted to share.

    Tonight, my dear friend, Jay has offered up her hot tub for me to relax in and she's cooking dinner for Matt and me. Aren't holidays and friends and weekends lovely?

    13 Comments:

    At 8:17 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Danny said...

    Awesome!! You are so ready!!

     
    At 8:28 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger About Me: said...

    steph: you did awesome. i don't know of any runner who can breeze through a 20 miler. or even treat it like no big deal. and if they do, they are androit so we cannot compare to them. oh and enjoy lovely holiday

     
    At 10:32 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger brent said...

    way to go. great job...you are so ready!!! it is going to be awesome. wooohooo!!

    i like your music selections, most of those are on my playlist too.
    may i suggest 2 more that i think you will like:
    Eminem: Till I Collapse (my fav running song)
    Will Smith: Switch (seriously, check it out)
    have a good weekend!

     
    At 10:45 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    oh my god, you did it!! Not that I had any doubts!Fantastic!!! You are gonna kill that marathon! Congratulations, be very very proud of yourself!

    (careful with the hot tub; i've heard that cold is better for preventing the next day hobbling!) :)

     
    At 11:28 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Scott in Washington said...

    Kudos to you! Great job!

    I like the same music too. Fellow B-boys listeners are getting harder to find as time goes on. There were two on your list I haven't tried. I'll download them and give them a try.

    So happy that you are back on track. Good luck!

     
    At 10:14 AM, September 04, 2005, Blogger Rae said...

    That is FANTASTIC!! I always have a hard time with gus and REALLY can't handle gatorade or powerade. I read about a pineapple based supplement called Bromelain that helps with a quesy stomach. I take it before all my long runs and it's seriously helpd me avoid the porta-potties!

    I'm loving Cake's 'Short Skirt-Long Jacket' & their cover of 'I Will Survive'. Also, I 'shake my tailfeather' with Nelly during every long run! =)

     
    At 4:03 PM, September 04, 2005, Blogger a.maria said...

    ok i love your running music selection, by the by, AND have to agree with Brent... Switch is a great one to run to.

    ANYWAY.... YOU RAN 20 FREAKIN MILES!!!!!!!!!!!! damn girl that is seriously impressive stuff. and about the getting choked up at the end.... well. i'm with ya. i think it was after my first 12 mile run that i almost started crying b/c i was so amazed that i actually did it. so i'm definitely with you on the "being a gir" front!!

    and i'm with Jeanne... my TNT coach has warned about hot tubs, they just make you swell MORE, so he says to wait a few days after a long run (um... i think 20 miles would count!!) before you do the hot tub thing...so, be careful!

    now go enjoy your weekend, you BEYOND deserve it!

     
    At 9:36 AM, September 05, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

    Thanks all for the advice/ipod shares. I'm going to check those songs out too. I'm also going to look into Bromelain. Regarding the hot tub: my friends actually keep it "cool" in the summer, so it was really a cool tub in which I let the jets hit me on my back and my legs and it felt sooo good.

     
    At 2:35 PM, September 05, 2005, Blogger Running Chick said...

    20 miles is ALWAYS a big deal and ALWAYS a challenge.

    You did it. That marathon is toast.

    Woo hooo!

     
    At 8:00 PM, September 05, 2005, Blogger Hutch said...

    Great job on the run. I enjoyed reading every word. I too often understand every word you are saying. I haven't made 20 miles yet, but I will soon. Great job.

     
    At 12:46 PM, September 06, 2005, Blogger Noames said...

    Rok on Stephanie! Way to kill 20 miles. The marathon has no chance against you. :)

     
    At 12:33 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Josh Dysart said...

    You're going to kick this marathon on its butt. Then, you're going to enjoy numerous beers. This I see in your future.

     
    At 10:23 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    ok, stephanie, now i'm totally bummed and i've been told not to run! WTF? I could just cry.

    I'm going to try the elliptical tomorrow morning. but i have to miss my 23 mile run saturday. wahhhhhh!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home