.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 22, 2005

    Going forward with courage

    Yesterday I returned to Lawrence Orthopedic. While I was waiting for the doctor in the examination room, the physical therapist I saw last week popped his head in to ask me how I was doing. (It's the little details that mean so much, you know?)

    So here's the deal: I have a strained hamstring. I knew that from the physical therapist, but the doctor confirmed. Will running a marathon on it cause permanent damage? Not unless I tear it. Will I tear it? Well, the doctor told me the pain I would encounter before I got to that point would be so unbearable that I would know to stop running. He gave me a compression knee brace which he said I could either take or leave. And so, I plan to run. And pray and believe that it will all be ok.

    Last night, after the doctor, my muscle felt weak and spasmy (is that a word?) I guess because he had to isolate it by making me flex and push with it which agitated it further. So, I was feeling a little low about the marathon. I had a lot of negative thoughts about not finishing etc... But today, I have resolved to go forward on Saturday with all the courage and strength I can muster and banish all the negative thoughts. The new rule: NO MORE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS UNTIL I CROSS MILE 26.2!!

    Any thoughts on running with the compression knee brace when I have never run with it? Any thoughts on making it through a marathon without tearing my hamstring?

    9 Comments:

    At 7:47 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    Wonderful, wonderful news!! I hope the brace helps! Congrats and we will all be rooting and chanting positive thoughts for you!!!

     
    At 7:54 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger HouseRunner said...

    I have no thoughts on the brace, but wanted to wish you the best of luck, a good race, and a cooperative hamstring! Way to fight through the pain. NO MORE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS!
    You're going to rock those 26.2!
    -chandra

     
    At 8:32 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Jeremy said...

    I use a knee brace when my ITB pain is acting up.

    It's wonderful. Sometimes it takes a little bit of adjustment to get it comfortable, but after that it's the best.

    Be careful taking it off though. I've found that my knee feels good with the brace on, but when I take it off it likes to swell up fast. So if you run with it...keep it on until you get to some ice.

     
    At 8:52 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Noames said...

    No advice on the brace, but lots of good wishes and good thougths! I'm excited for you, and I hope the knee brace helps (or doesn't, if you choose not to wear it).

    Can't wait to read your post from the other side of 26.2!

     
    At 9:12 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger :) said...

    I wore a compression brace for months after my ACL reconstruction...Jeremy is right about the swelling. If you wear it, don't even think about removing it til you are completely done and ready to sit still and ice! Good luck on Sunday...I will be definitely thinking about you!

    Positively, of course! I can't wait to hear how you FINISHED!!!

     
    At 11:56 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Running Chick said...

    It wasn't a compression brace, but I did run my whole marathon with my knee in an Ace bandage without any troubles.

    Maybe wear the brace a bit first to see if it rubs anywhere...and don't forget to Glide up that area on race day.

    And you WILL FINISH.

     
    At 5:00 PM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

    I would try it out for a short period of time today and tomorrow and see how it feels. I wear a stabilizing knee brace, which I really like. I don't have the swelling problems that some other posters mentioned with the compression brace, but I do notice my knee feels a little wobbly after I take the brace off.

    I will have you in my thoughts on Saturday!! You can do it!!

     
    At 9:14 PM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Lucky number 7 said...

    No advice on the brace either, but good luck this weekend!! The mind is a powerful tool!! You have trained hard so far, you WILL finish!!

     
    At 9:28 AM, September 23, 2005, Blogger About Me: said...

    hey Stephanie
    i'm headed out of town but i'll be back sunday...hope to see your race report then if you're ready.
    ive never used a brace but i'll just resay what others have said and listen to your body. if you finish, fantastic. if your leg bothers you too much, that's fantastic too. you've done all the hard work and training. that said, i have strong feeling you're gonna get through 26.2 miles. and by next week, your blog will say something like "i've decided to start training for x marathon on xx."
    take care, a whole virtual community is pulling for you!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home