.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, July 12, 2005

    All hills are not created equal

    Alright, so I decided to flip my 4-mile loop and start the way I normally finish. You know, switch things up a bit. It turns out the hills are totally different when you run the other way! I knew the route had a couple of long inclines, but when you run it "backwards" there were many more. Whew...those hills wore me out. I'm telling you, I was golden for the first two miles, just golden...cruising up these two long hills and then recovering on a longer flat stretch. Suddenly, I just stopped. Mile three sucked. I walked way more than I wanted to, sucking in air, wiping off sweat, cursing myself for stopping. I finally recovered for mile 4 but alas, it took me 52 minutes...a horrible time and I'm depressed now.

    Time for a shower.

    3 Comments:

    At 9:06 PM, July 12, 2005, Blogger Sara said...

    Aw, don't be depressed! Isn't the point of switching it up to make your body work harder? Well, it worked! You're awesome. You've come so far and you're going to do this.

     
    At 11:29 PM, July 12, 2005, Blogger a.maria said...

    diddo what she said... i thought about doing my normal route backwards today and said "screw it" when i realized the enormity of the hill i'd have to come up in that direction.... however, you've inspired me to grow some cojones and go for it on my next run (thursday)!
    you go girl!!

     
    At 4:59 PM, July 13, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    oh god, join the club! These other chicks are so dang wise, though. ..

    But I think the best advice I can give you is something that some gal named Stephanie told me when I did my 14 mile insanely loong run and was ready to hang up my running shoes and gel for good (and don't you hate it when people quote your own words back to you?!?)
    So here is what Stephanie told me:
    "Hey, Jeanne, remember when I was going through that bad streak last week and didn't push myself and felt really blah? Well it was stinky, but I think normal. Ans so I'm going to tell you that you feeling not 100 percent about this run is also normal. You are absolutely on track though. ...I also like to think when it comes to the Marathon, we will all be so jazzed up, we will exceed even our own expectations."

    And wise words they were. You hang in there, you are doing FANTASTIC!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home