.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, July 09, 2005

    Inside the mind of the lone runner

    My shoe buddy, A.Maria wanted to know what some of us running bloggers thought about while we run. So, I thought I'd take you deep into my thoughts while I ran 12 miles this morning.

    However, I need to preface this with some background. It turns out TNT uses a different set of mile markers to measure distance than I do. This shouldn't matter, but it seems the mileage chart I have been using is telling us something different. My coworker and I pulled out the map of the trails that I ordered from the Overland Park Convention & Visitors' Bureau and discovered the mileage chart is based on the map which is based on the yellow mile markers on the trail and not the stone mile markers. This is all very confusing for me. However, I've decided to stick with my chart, my map and the yellow mile markers to determine mileage because it's what I started with. But this makes it very frusterating when I see the stone markers. Do you have all of that because it's kind of strange, but I think I'm still on track...

    So, without further ado, I give to you my some thoughts that entered my mind during my 12 miles.

    0-.5 miles: Ok, I have a lot of gear on. Do I look like a dork with my my pink water bottle holder bag with my cell phone clipped to the front and my pepper spray dangling from my side? Probably, but maybe this will deter the bad guys on the trail. It's kind of clunky, but not too bad. I like my new shoes still. It's very humid. I should have started earlier than 7:15. I hate the snooze button. Should I go the long way around the Indian Valley circle or the short way? The .5 mile marker is a few feet in the direction of the long way, so I guess that means I'm supposed to go that way.

    .5-1.00 miles: I used to run on this circle when I was in elementary school. It seemed bigger then. I wonder if I was really supposed to go the long way. I hope there are no snakes under these bridges. I hate snakes. I like it when bikers tell me they are passing me. I startle easily. Where is the 1.00 marker? Darn it, there is the OTHER mile marker, I want MY mile marker. This is so confusing. I want to use the stone mile markers. Maybe I will. Ok, there is my mile marker.

    1.00-2.00 miles: (Many thoughts about which set of mile markers I should be using.) Dee de dum, I'm running. Oh look, people with dogs. This is a nice residential stretch. I wish I lived in a house and not an apartment. It would be nice to live near the trail. Oh, here comes a runner from his house. He's getting on the trail. He has a water bottle, I bet he's going far. Oh look, he's not that fast. I bet I'm as fast as he is. Ok, never mind that thought. This seems very far. Have I only run 1.5 miles? This can't be right. I think I'll drink some gatorade at 2.00 miles. I'm hot.

    2.00-3.00 miles: I'm proud that I drank my gatorade but didn't linger and kept running. I'm getting near Gary Gribbles. Hmmm...I wonder if any runner has ever had to make a bathroom stop there. That would be funny. You would have to cross the road though. That would be dangerous. I think the co-worker lives near here. It must be nice to live near the trail and not have to drive and park and worry about your keys etc...Did I lock my car? Oh good, here's a map of the trail. Ok, this is where it splits. I need to make a decision. I think I'm going on the main trail towards Blackbob.

    3.00-4.00 miles: Wow, the co-worker wasn't kidding, this stretch is woody.I'm kind of glad it is. It's hot outside. Ok, what to do if someone jumps out. Grab pepper spray. Is it still there? Ok, yes it is. What if I had to pee? I don't yet. Lot's of bikers. Oh, look another neighborhood. These houses are bigger! Woah. I wish I knew someone who lived over here, then I could use their restroom. But, I don't have to go, so that doesn't even matter. At 4.00 miles I'll try my gu. I have two flavors. I guess I'll start with the triberry. Oh my gosh, there is a man doing marshal arts in the clearing. Weird. People are looking at him funny. Time for gu.

    4.00-5.00 miles: Oh yuck. This stuff is horrible. I can barely get it down. Is it gone yet? These people are looking at me funny. Now what do I do with this wrapper? I don't want to litter. But I really don't want to put it back in my bag. No wonder the company rewards you for sending them wrappers. It's a pain. I'll hold it until I find a trash bin. Oh wow, I have entered Olathe. Oh dear, what happened to my yellow markers? Now they are wood markers. Is this the same system as mine? Man I wish someone would just tell me, run to here and back and you are done. I hate figuring this stuff out. They have nice signs in Olathe directing you to the path ahead.

    5.00 - 6.00 miles: I'm running low on water. I wonder if my turn around point park has a water fountain. Here's a lady, I'll ask her if there is a park ahead. Ok, she said there are two. One with water and one without. That makes sense. I'm on track because my map showed one park with bathrooms but no water and one park with water a bit further. Wow, I'm doing good on not stopping. Knee hurts a bit. All the TNT runners are probably already done. I hate getting a late start. That gu stuff really worked. Wow. I feel great. Ok, here's the park. I need water. Here's a water fountain. DRAT! NO WATER! Now what? Ok, don't panic. It's a big park, there has to be a second fountain. Ok, I see one over yonder. I'll have to walk through the grass to get there...AHhhh...water.

    6.00-8.00 miles: I just called my husband to tell him to have a good day at work. I wanted to talk longer. He had to go. I'm feeling chatty. Oh there's the park with the last bathrooms. Still don't have to go. Ok then, keep running. Kick ass. This rocks. I'm running. (Lots of positive thoughts here. Enjoyable time.) Ok my knee hurts bad...time to walk some.

    8.00-10.00 miles: (Several periods of walking...lots of pain in knee.) Just keep going. Work on running correctly. Don't run down the hills. Oh yay, Gary Gribbles again. I'm getting somehwere. This isn't so bad. Hey there's that guy from earlier. He told me good job.

    10.00-11.00 miles: YAY! I like this. 20 miles wouldn't be bad. I could do that. Need to work on knee though. I'm thankful it's not my shins. I hear that's bad. Maybe I'll get two patella straps instead of one. Other knee kind of hurts now.

    11.00-11.5 miles: Ok, do I take the long way back around Indian Valley circle? There is a water fountain on the long way side, so I think I'm going for it. Ok, I have to walk again...knee...feeling a little nausea too. What's up with that? It's hot. Finally water fountain. Let's hope it works. YAY! Lotsa water. Oh, I'm not even waiting to screw the lid on my water bottle. I want some on my face too to wash the salt off. Ok, just .5 miles, I can do it.

    11.5-12.00 miles: Run strong. Let's go. This is fun. I love this. Feeling good. Glad I had water. Wow, I'm almost there. Shade feels good. I see my car! Oh my gosh I did it.

    6 Comments:

    At 9:10 PM, July 09, 2005, Blogger Sara said...

    Hey there's that guy from earlier. He told me good job.

    Awww, that's sweet!

    Dave has to do all these weird stretches for his knee. The triathlon tomorrow is only a 3-mile run (look at me...like I could do that!) so he should be fine. I don't think he could make it your distances, though! You're doing awesome.

     
    At 7:51 AM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

    Well you tell Dave that I couldn't do a triathalong. Me swim? Ahahahha. That's funny. And bikes make my butt hurt. It's probably too late, but good luck DAVE!!!! I hope for a detailed update on his triathalong. Dave needs a triathalon blog.

     
    At 8:26 AM, July 10, 2005, Blogger jeanne said...

    What a great idea for a post!!! I love getting inside your head like that. And what a great job--12 miles all by yourself, not even using headphones. That, my friend, is impressive. Your mind sounds so...so...happy and normal when you run!!

     
    At 11:33 AM, July 10, 2005, Blogger a.maria said...

    wow.... you have a lot of thoughts while running!!! i got a good kick outta that... seems like my mind goes blank for periods while i run... weird. anyway, GREAT job on the 12 mile run! you should be proud!!!!

     
    At 2:57 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

    Sounds like you had a good run! You even did it alone! That is awesome! I hope that your knee is feeling better. Drink lots of water and take a nap!!!

     
    At 9:01 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger brent said...

    i love it, cool post. good job on the run.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home