.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, July 02, 2005

    Five miles of hills

    Ok, before you say anything, I know I was supposed to do 7 miles, but I went to Shawnee Mission Park so I could do some hill work. (My co-worker told me it was a great spot to catch some big rolling hills and he wasn't kidding. ) The road around the park is about 5 miles, and had I done it twice, it would have been 10 miles. (duh) I didn't want to do 10 miles b/c I'm supposed to be on a low-mileage week. So I did 5 . Tomorrow I'll run 2- 3 to make up for it and then I' ll be set.

    I really feel like I should return like when I need to to 15 miles or when I need to do 10 miles so I can get more practice on the hills. It's a good route. And it's probably important because my marathon course is going to be very hilly.

    The good news is I totally felt like I could have done the loop again. So, I know I'm getting to be in good shape.

    I guess people who train at that park take things pretty seriously because they sure took me seriously. I had so many kind bikers and runners say nice things to me as I was running. That's a really good feeling to have a total stranger tell you, "Good job runner" or "Keep up the good work." I loved that.

    I did have to make one bathroom break and three walk breaks, but that's not bad considering how hilly it was. I was thankful it was so overcast today too. It was hot, but not unbearable. I imagine that route would be awful in intense sun.

    I still feel slightly guilty about not doing 7. I hope I didn't screw anything up.

    4 Comments:

    At 12:21 PM, July 02, 2005, Blogger a.maria said...

    oooh shawnee mission park is legendary for its hills, i applaud you!!! now go have a relaxing holiday weekend!!! (its kinda nice getting the workout done and outta the way for the rest of the weekend, don'cha think?!)

     
    At 1:34 PM, July 03, 2005, Blogger Josh Dysart said...

    I'm glad to know that I steered you in the direction of the dreaded Shawnee Mission Park, and that you successfully completed your run. I was kinda worried that you'd be mad at me come Tuesday morning at work....

     
    At 12:30 PM, July 04, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

    I secretly liked the dreaded park. A. I felt safer there because I saw TONS of police. B. The people were nice C. The hills were hard, but it really flattened out by the lake and over by the Renner Road enterance so you got the best of both worlds. And D., plenty of restrooms. Need I say more?

     
    At 8:54 PM, October 10, 2010, Anonymous pearl izumi said...

    Nice one! i like this post! Keep it up and happy trails!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home