.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Onward Bound

Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes life is awesome. Sometimes it a little bit of both. Either way, you have to keep going. I'll be running, laughing, crying and sharing it all here.

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, June 16, 2008

    Dating in the age of Facebook, texting and my blog

    Enter our latest dating contestant -#3. He's young (at least he was born in the 70's.), smart, a self-described nerd, adorable (Can you use that word for a guy? I did. So there), and has the most amazing brown eyes...oh, and he is a red head. Gotta love that. But here's the deal. I'm all new at this. No, obviously, I'm not. But I am.

    Here's what I mean. See, the red head is the first guy I've dated that has found my facebook which took him to my blog and allows him to read my tweets. And this is new territory. Because before we had even so much as met face to face, the guy knew so much about me. This begs the question, should I remove the blog from my FB account? This can be debated later.

    But with the texting, facebook stalking and googling that now happens pre first date, are we becoming smarter, savvier daters? About two hours into this date, I'm thinking it's like our fifth or something and not because I am bored, uninterested (hardly!) or otherwise. Simply because there was all this research that went into this guy before I even met him. And likewise on his end. So we skipped the get-to-know you small talk and were able to have a much more meaningful experience.

    P.S. He so just texted me. eek! I'm such a girl!
    P.S.S. I also know he is so reading this blog.
    P.S.S.S. So don't hold anything against me. This is, after all, my little world. But I'm glad to have you as a reader for now. Just know that anything you say or do can be documented here at Onward Bound. Oh, and thanks for the amazing date. Even if you totally blew my cover with Hot Neighbor by kissing me good-bye in front of him. Oh well, totally worth it! See you tonight?

    5 Comments:

    At 2:47 PM, June 16, 2008, Blogger mouse said...

    A few guys I went on dates with "randomly found" my myspace profile and blog. It was almost a relief to me because then I knew they knew something about me and were still interested, rather than having that weird "getting to know you" crap. It only becomes creepy when you stop dating someone and they keep stalking you online.

    In the end I think it worked out well for me, since Dice wasn't too freaked out by my online persona. and, well... we're getting married, so I guess you can say we're proponents of the whole "dating in the online age" thing... :)

     
    At 3:32 PM, June 16, 2008, Blogger Erin said...

    omg, you need to make your facebook profile private, stat! And yes remove the blog - unless you're 100% comfy with anyone and everyone in your life (or potentially) reading everything you've written - like your boss.

     
    At 4:08 PM, June 16, 2008, Blogger Stephanie said...

    Erin-
    Done!

     
    At 1:40 PM, June 17, 2008, Blogger Teresa V. Mitchum said...

    Stephanie, I finally read this. Hmmm, I vote you not have this as public reading. I love your "onward bound" theme. And your "about me" section is very convincing--and drew me in! (I sound like I'm critiquing one of the GG's manuscripts!)

    Anyway, I can't figure out this twitter stuff or getting your blog to show up on my blog. Guess I'm not totally into the 21st century.

     
    At 1:56 PM, June 17, 2008, Blogger Stephanie said...

    Thanks, Mom! Your writing critque means a lot to me! Welcome to my blog, three years later. :)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home